Whether you’re getting ready for your first kiss or just want to look your best, you may want plump lips. But getting lip fillers isn’t always an option, so you may opt for something else. If you have essential oils on hand, you can consider peppermint to liven up your lips.
Peppermint essential oil can be used to plump lips. They will look and feel bigger by swelling. The lips won’t swell too much, and the effect won’t be permanent. However, peppermint essential oil is a fresh, natural alternative to other lip plumping methods, like injections or store-bought plumpers.
If you have thin lips and want to thicken them for a date or photo op, you can use various products. Peppermint oil is an excellent choice. Keep reading to learn how you can use it to plump your lips.
Peppermint Essential Oil Uses
When considering the use of peppermint essential oil to plump your lips, you should learn how to use it. The oil has many uses, which mostly center around skin and face.
In its pure form, peppermint essential oil is excellent for aromatherapy. The smell can calm you down and be soothing. You can use the oil to relieve itching on your skin, and it can help with any pain or discomfort in the muscles on your face.
If you suffer from nausea, adding peppermint essential oil to your lips can help with that as well. The mint scent is nice and refreshing, making it useful for other things. Each use has some benefits.
Using peppermint essential oil can benefit you in multiple ways. It’s very popular in cosmetics, and it can help various skin conditions. If you have chronic itching, applying peppermint essential oil can reduce it.
While you may have a stinging feeling when you first apply it, it could help reduce itching on your lips and other parts of your skin.
Other benefits include treating symptoms of nausea and helping with digestive issues. These problems aren’t directly related to your lips, but if you have them, that’s one more reason to use peppermint essential oil as your lip plumper of choice.
Unfortunately, using peppermint essential oil isn’t the right choice. Whether you want to use it on your lips or elsewhere, you should consider if it’s an option.
If you’re taking prescription medications, you should ask your doctor if it’s safe to use peppermint essential oil. The oil can reduce the effectiveness of the enzyme CYP3A4. That enzyme helps break down some medications, so it may affect your ability to absorb your medications.
You may also want to avoid peppermint essential oil if you have hemolytic anemia or a G6PD deficiency. A lack of this enzyme can make it hard for your body to regulate certain processes, and using peppermint essential oil can make things worse.
If you have young children, you should be careful with this oil. While it may be safe for you, it may not be for your baby or toddler, because the smell can cause side effects in younger children.
How to Use Peppermint Essential Oil to Plump Lips
If you don’t have any medical conditions or concerns surrounding peppermint essential oil, you can use it as a lip plumper. Consider how to use it so that you can make the most of it.
That way, you can continue to use it to plump your lips whenever you need a quick enhancer. Learn about the ways you can apply the oil to your lips and how to keep yourself safe in the process.
Dab on Your Lips
The easiest way to apply peppermint essential oil to your lips is to dab it right on. You don’t need a ton of special supplies, so you can apply it as soon as you get it. Follow these steps to apply the oil on your lips.
- Use a dropper to get a couple of drops of the essential oil.
- Start with one or two drops to be safe. You can add more if necessary.
- Put the oil on a Q-tip, then use the Q-tip to spread the oil all over your lips.
- Make sure the oil feels comfortable on your lips. You may feel a tingling sensation, which is okay.
- Let the oil sink into your lips, then wait a few minutes for your them to thicken.
You can then go about your day, kiss your significant other or pose for photos. The effect may not last long, so you might need to apply more drops later. However, you shouldn’t apply too much, because you don’t want to risk ingesting the oil without diluting it.
Add to Lip Gloss
If you don’t want to carry peppermint oil with you, add some to your lip gloss. Then, you can use that as a lip plumper. Here are the steps to use this method:
- Choose your favorite lip gloss, preferably an unscented one.
- Add a few drops of the essential oil to your lip gloss and mix it. Use a small mixing tool or shake the gloss if it comes in a tube.
- Keep the essential oil concentration at or under five percent so that you don’t risk ingesting it while wearing the lip gloss.
- After mixing it, apply the gloss as you would.
Adding peppermint essential oil to your lip gloss is an easy way to make a lip plumper on-the-go. You can mix the oil in once, and use that gloss whenever you want to boost your lips. It’s also a great way to dilute the oil to safe levels to make it usable.
Mix It With a Carrier Oil
If you’re not a fan of lip glosses, you can mix the peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil. This option is great if you don’t have a suitable lip gloss or if you don’t want to add the shimmer that glosses have.
You can use a variety of carrier oils, and do the same process as mentioned when using a lip gloss.
- Coconut oil is great if you want to protect your skin and lips. The oil will help moisturize the area and has antimicrobial properties.
- Grapeseed oil is great for skin and lip care. It has a clear color, so you don’t have to worry about staining your lips. However, it will leave a glossy finish.
- Evening primrose oil is another option, and great for your skin. You will usually find it in a mix with another carrier oil. Although, you need to use it up quickly so that it won’t go bad.
Other popular carrier oils include jojoba oil and rosehip oil, but they can negate the peppermint essential oil. The carrier oils can reduce inflammation, which reduces the swelling effect that you get from applying peppermint oil to your lips.
When to Reapply
After you initially apply peppermint essential oil as a lip plumper, you will notice a difference. However, it won’t last forever. If you want to continue the lip-plumping effect, you will need to reapply the oil.
- If possible, wait to reapply the oil until necessary. You don’t want to ingest the peppermint essential oil, so use it minimally.
- Consider applying it at the beginning of your day and again after lunch. That way, you don’t have to put it on right before you eat or drink something.
- When combining the peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil or lip gloss, you have more flexibility. You don’t have to worry about ingesting the essential oil, so you can reapply it as often as you like.
Peppermint essential oil is great for use on your lips, and you can use it regularly. But keep your health and safety in mind first. If you want to use it more often, you can combine it with something to dilute the oil without losing its benefits.
Peppermint essential oil is a great natural lip plumper. You can apply it in multiple ways, so you can choose what works best for you. Make sure to consider the risks of putting it near your mouth, so that you can stay safe.